Tuesday 13 December 2016

Brother's Keeper

It seems to me that most times people are waiting in hope for our failure than for our success. How do we explain the glee and speed with which they spread our failure stories?
It is common to hear people say “From the beginning, I knew she would fail” or “I knew he was taking a wrong step.” My question is if you knew they were making a mistake, if you knew that the step they were taking would lead to pain and loss why did you not tell them, especially when you were in a position to do so?
Personally, I do not know which is worse to deal with, the failure or people (especially close friends, church members and family) telling me that they knew I was making a mistake or taking a wrong step in the middle of my pain. You knew I was going to fail? You knew I was taking a wrong step? Why didn’t you say something? Why wait until I have failed to share your great wisdom? If you feel so free to tell me now why did you not feel free before?
This needs to change. We have to learn to be our brother’s keeper. Any wisdom you did not share before a person makes a wrong choice should not be shared after the individual fails because the wisdom is useless at that point. You are only making matters worse.
Giving is not all about money. You can give your wisdom. You can share your knowledge. You can give counsel. One strong reason offered by the bible for the destruction of man is ignorance. “My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge” (Hosea 4:6, NIV). Anyone who commits to sharing godly wisdom and counsel is stopping unwarranted and needless pain.
So this season, I implore us to open our spiritual and physical eyes to watch over those in our circle of influence. There are so many shaky emotions out there this end of the year largely due to unmet goals, desires and dreams. Many may want to medicate their pain with casual sex, drugs, alcohol, uncontrolled partying, speed, food etc. Watch out and give gentle counsel and encouragement. I tell you that you would be saving a soul from destruction and needless pain. I am not saying be a busy body. I am not saying we should poke our noses in other people’s private business, but if we feel free to share our great wisdom after the fact, we should actually try to do so before the fact. They may not take our counsel, but at least God would be privy to the fact that you tried. And you too would sleep peacefully knowing that you made an attempt to save.
Open your eyes. Look around you. Many are disturbed and troubled, but wearing Armani and Gucci labels. Do not be deceived by ‘packaging’. Be prepared to save a soul this season and let us stop watching silently on the sidelines waiting for people to fail.
Complements of the Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment